Thursday, August 20, 2009

The F-Bomb Salad with Chardonnay.

This came my way recently. It's a 2004 Cornell Alto Adige Chardonnay.
Recently I mentioned a salad that seems to be my standard summer fare in variations, but here's the basic contents:
Frisee
Fresh Fennel
Figs
Feta
Non-F-Word ingredients are red onion, cucumber, a can of garbanzo beans, and a warm hard-boiled egg. It gets a good squeeze of fresh lemon, some olive oil, and S&P.


This is the simplest version, the base to any variations. Tomatoes in season, I dumped a pint of mixed cherry's into a pan with a ton of garlic, olive oil, lemon zest,and a light curry until the tomatoes were just soft, then tossed the mixture into some cooked quinoa. That with the egg on top of the salad is killer.

The wine was really lovely, in a summer-fruity kind of way. The previous wine (August 1) was like shaker furniture - which I love - this one was more like that Ernest Quost painting in the Musee D'Orsay, you know the one. My only regret is I while the F-Bomb Salad is indeed the bomb, I sort of got the feeling the wine could have been better challenged, better utilized - a nice piece of grilled salmon on top and dressed in a lemon-mustard-dill-garlic-olive oil drizzle.
Here's the painting.