Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The one that got away.

I am here at work, in The Cave, on the computer that is also in The Cave. In Cave years, the computer is a relatively new addition. Joe Burns didn't have one, and though Vern used one for paperwork, there was no internet connection. There was no website, and to entertain himself in the quieter moments, Vern lit up his pipe and watched a Lakers game or popped a war movie into the VCR.

Now we have internet, now we're living large. In quieter moments I show up here and sacrifice my pride for entertainment's sake.

Computer and internet aside, The Cave will always have a certain old school, mom-n-pop, dustiness to it. It's part of who we are, part this historical building, and part of that original and intact dance floor in the Bordeaux Room.

This is a picture of our phone here at The Cave. I think that answering machine is like the first digital machine ever produced. Sometimes I can actually make out the messages left. You can see there is one message on it. Here is what it says.

"Hi, I have a question about your facility and also about whether you provide transportation. If you could give me a call back, I'd certainly appreciate it. Bye-Bye."

Call back how?, I wondered. Then I realized the gentleman probably figured his number would show up on our caller ID...if we had caller ID. Alas, that is one lost customer who right about now is thinking, That Cave place must not want my business.