Friday, September 30, 2011

WARNING! This post is rated 'R.' Content may be unsuitable for pretty much everyone.

When another American tourist died in Aruba early August, the Aruban Solicitor General spoke to the news cameras and by doing so one of the world's greatest names came to fore, Taco Stein.

I'm sorry, Mr. Stein, but today's news about a gentleman rescued six days after his car plunged into a ravine may have ceded you (while simultaneously meeting all your needs for a perfect Saturday night):













Onward!

If you've got a life, and clearly this troglodyte does not, you may not be aware of a series of videos posted on Youtube that all feature the same clip from the 2004 movie "Downfall" starring Bruno Ganz as Adolph Hitler. Bruno, for whom I've a bit of a crush, and who has the grin of the century, is mostly known for Wim Wenders 1987 film, "Wings of Desire" - also with a great turn from the recently departed Peter Falk ("I can't see you but I know you're here"). Eventually it was Americanized with the 1998 "City of Angels" with Meg Ryan, and poor Peter Falk had to die just so he and everyone else that was part of the original film could turn over in their graves.

But I digress.

Where was I?

Oh, right. Wine, The Cave...

So what people do is download this clip from the movie "Downfall," which is in German, and they subtitle in their own various translations/stories/scenarios. Woody Allen did this with his 1966 movie "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" taking a Japanese action movie and re-dubbing it so the plot revolved around a secret recipe for egg salad.

This ongoing series first hit my radar during July's Carmageddon. There are many posted, but only a few are inspired and one of those was sent me yesterday by Izzy. There's a good amount of foul language in it and I'm unconvinced it's appropriate for a business blog, so until I decide that one here it is, "Downfall of a Cult Californian Winery. "