Thursday, December 1, 2011

Toto, too.

I just got a call from a gentleman who cellars here wondering if we have power here which in Cave language translates to AC. Where he lives there will be none until this weekend. As a matter of fact, Glendale (so far) has had no power outages, only a collective severe lack of sleep.

So far your wine is surviving all this soundly and unawares, but for the rest of us last night was like trying to sleep strapped to the undercarriage of a freight train during a hurricane that was in a tornado. All of it. At once.

I passed the night watching the movie The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster based on the short story The Swimmer by John Cheever. Very existential, dude.

Around 4 a.m. I did this.


Around 5 a.m. I tried sleep. The hotel was shaking so much I thought, if there's an earthquake right now no one will know.

At 11 a.m. the wind blew the building's fire alarm on...and woke me up.

Around noon I was passing the bougainvillea in the back and they'd been completely stripped! Even better, the ground was perfectly detritus-free.

I can't wait until tonight. Maybe I should get me a bit of this stuff, they seem to know the deal.