Sunday, June 24, 2012

2008 Alvaro Palacios Camins del Proirat

This is about to be the most painful wine review ever, so here's the short of it: this wine is really good.  Robert Parker gave it a 91.

Here's the long of it. I didn't get to the farmer's market last Sunday so I didn't get my weekly allotment of oranges.  It's only an orange-a-day, I reasoned, I'll live.  But by Monday afternoon I was sweating, shaking, unable to cope. Also, I was sort of busy, so for convenience sake I went to Trader Joe's and got a bag of oranges. Clearly withdrawal was rotting my brain.

So I took the bag to the apartment above me where Freddy'd been hammering the floor since 8 a.m, the floor under which I sleep...usually.  I gave Freddy half the bag of oranges. (Not a bribe.)

But Freddy's cool, he needs wine, it's been awhile.  So the next day I went to Topline to get him a bottle of wine, a 2010 Alvaro Palacios del Priorat.  I buy this stuff a lot as a gift because it's pretty and it's wine, but I've never myself tried it. I knew I had a 2008 in the locker.  It seems to me if I keep buying this stuff maybe I should know what I'm giving people.

It turns out I also have a 2009 in the locker, so yesterday I opened the 2008. After work I tried a bit. It was very yummy, nice, subtle. I had a glass with dinner and it was ... fricking great with dinner.  Then I finished dinner and thought, oh, maybe I should have taken a picture of that.  So instead I took a picture of my deeply decimated eating habits which I've  tried to bury in a sea of artful photo editing.  The meal: red-leaf lettuce, persian cucumber, cold, oven-roasted beets, avocado, and cold chicken with a lemon/mustard/olive oil drizzle.  The wine just slid right in there like it knew exactly what it was supposed to do.  I love when wine can handle my lemon/mustard addiction (not to be confused with my Valencia orange addiction). At about the same time I came up for air and took the picture I was thinking, good wine with good food is such a deeply underrated pleasure, and, (ergo) so entirely satisfying.