Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Great Glendale Hummus Search has begun.

Recently perusing the interwebs, it turns out my sudden craving for hummus collided with stumbling onto this  capture from the Tumblr page, Things White People Like. There is another version on the site Stuff White People Like.  I don't know if they are related or competitors or plagiarists, but I don't want to get into the middle of it by posting one minus mentioning the other.
Now a stereotype, I still wanted hummus.  The deal is, Whole Foods once had a really fricking good hummus in their fresh/prepared foods case. Then they messed it up by changing the recipe and adding sugar to it.  Okay, so now that I'm even MORE a stereotype, let's add to it:  basic hummus has like four ingredients in it: chick peas, tahini, lemon, and garlic.  THAT'S IT.  So when I go to a store and see a list of weirdo stuff in there, I walk away.  Hummusless.
Trader Joe's has one hummus, Eggplant Hummus, minus sugar.  But I live in Glendale, there has to be an amazing hummus somewhere in this town, right? The search has begun.

First stop.
Currently on ...Central above the 134, these guys are going to move into the old Red Carpet location on Glenoaks.  Will they still be Central Grand Market?  The suspense is palpable. 

Fresh behind the counter but minus any posted ingredients list, I asked if there was sugar in their hummus.  The initial answer was "I don't think so," but I persisted.  After some investigating, the answer was no, but I have no idea what else is in this hummus.  I got a small tub.  The hummus is reasonably priced and good consistency.  My only thought against it was it seems too salty, and maybe a bit...heavy. Whole Foods was a fresher, lighter fare, this by comparison seemed more laden.
The woman behind the counter was very nice as was the gentleman who looked into ingredients for me, but I think the search will continue.  Someone suggested I try one of the many restaurants, like Carousel.  Good idea!

Still, last night I made a cucumber salad with red onions, dill, lemon, S&P, and a drizzle of good olive oil.  Put some hummus on that and a hard boiled egg with anchovies - only in this case a scrambled egg with a bit of curry because I was running late  - de-lish!