Saturday, November 14, 2009

2007 Turley Juvenile Zinfandel

(This proves I have no business at all talking about wine which of course won't stop me. )

The thermometer is dipping into the sixties, brrrr! I sauteed fresh tomatoes with onion, garlic, jalapeno, ginger and a wee bit of curry (extra anise) , then added the canned tomatoes and tomato paste to cook down and finish the sauce. I added zucchini to it and a can of white beans and a good dose of romano before dumping it on the pasta.



The wine: the aforementioned Zinfandel. It was given me with the statement that it was time I try something young and vibrant and exciting. With great remorse I confess, not nearly the aficionado of my gracious winos (and with no threat of that in the near future), when I taste it I think, "Oh, wow, that's really good," and that pretty much exhausts my scope. This was a really nice wine and stood well with the meal. In it I didn't get the decadent fruitiness of the Oberschulte Syrah that I wrote about back in August; in comparison the Turley was more restrained, more balanced with additional components. Reviews online refer to berries, pepper, and spice. Elsewhere referred to it as damp earth, plums, and pepper. I say yes to all of that, so I guess that means it was "really good."