Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Whine.

Two of the blogs over there on the side bar have had recent posts about the future of wine in regards to its packaging. After a week or so of letting new dust settle into a more familiar state, and after considering I'm quite possibly resisting change only because I'm old and don't like those new-fangled ideas, the pendulum has settled.

1. The Cork.
Thank god Plato's not alive to witness me blogging on a blog that blogged on another blog, hence blogging three-times removed, a virtual Platonic nightmare. Winex covered a previous person's blog on their blog recently presenting a compelling argument for the screwcap. You can read all the details there, but here was the compelling part, this photo. While I consider myself a traditionalist, I can very clearly see the point. Still, when that lady tells me buying her green plastic bags will keep my lettuce fresh for a month, I think: do I want my lettuce to last for a month? While some wine is about aging, where do we agree to call it a day? Do we want it to last forever? Is it a contest?


2. The Bottle.
Well, we've had the virtual juice-box of wines, what else is new? Based on Nick's blog over there at Bordeaux Undiscovered, quite a few things. New shapes, new colors, new materials. Here is where my age and progress truly do part ways. I understand the practicality of wine presented to minimize waste, either of product or packaging, but I've seen way too many beautiful, dusty, exquisite bottles of wine to ever give that ghost up. The romance, the possibility, the anticipation, the curiosity, the seduction, the mystery... in an aluminum bottle? I don't think so.