Thursday, October 13, 2011

Firestone (Abacus) Barrel-Aged Barley Wine, 2011

The Firestone Walker Brewing Company is currently referring to this as merely Barley Wine, having dropped the Abacus for reasons my beer geeks would know, but I do not. This doesn't change what I tasted, though, and there are a whole lot of things going on in this stuff. Barley wine, aging, boozy things, something coconut with a lingering maple finish.

It was 108 degrees today in Los Angeles, but I'm thinking in more reasonable environs, like anywhere but here and for a number of reasons (not just the weather), there may be things like crisper temperatures, some turning of the leaves, the promise of what's next, and this is a great one for that. My gracious thanks to the dashing, young Vahe for this one; even with the oven running it was entirely intriguing and interesting and a new one on me.