Thursday, December 4, 2014

Someone else's holiday gift list.

Everyone is vying for your holiday dollars.  This past week The Cave has received holiday catalogs from  Zachys and Wally's, beautiful and expensive auction catalogs from Spectrum Wine Auctions, and a post card from Heritage. Okay, maybe Heritage isn't vying too hard.



This is a picture of me having dinner the other night.  You can see the Wally's catalog there awaiting my perusal.  Sorry, Wally, the entire ham had priority.









Sated and dreamy, I opened Wally's Wine gift catalogue to see what my dear friends (um...) might be getting me for Christmas.  Over 40 pages, they would have a difficult time deciding.  Maybe I could help. 

Wine...
Wine...
Wine...
Wine...

Page 14, say, I've heard of this stuff.  Let's check that out.



Six bottles of the '09 @ $30,000?  $30,000?  Wow, that's a LOT of ham!  Someone must really like you, or want something from you, to get you that for ANYthing.  Might come off a bit showy, better to go with the '08.






 Page 18.  Ooooh, lots of nice wine in that one, and it's a bargain at only four grand. Robert Parker, Jr. really likes those '09's.  And look, you get some caramel popcorn and airplane peanuts with it.  I don't know...


Page 19. $10,000?  To get bowled over?  Dude, seriously, I get bowled over half a sandwich that already has a bite out of it that someone else is too full to finish. PASS!

 

Mmmmm, cheese.  Page 40.  Over $400 worth of cheese.  That might be more cheese than I eat in a year.  That might be more food than I eat in a year.  Does anyone need this much cheese?  This much anything? Is Christmas, any holiday, love, measured in cheese?

 

Wally's, et al, is banking on it.