Saturday, March 18, 2017

1966 was a good year.

Vacation?  I needed to do something and left for a week.  It turned out to be a very good week for me.  Very Good. 

When booking things, I opted to come home a day earlier than necessary.  I thought, well, no one will know where I am for a day and that's kind of fun. Turned out to be a good plan, I got out just before the blizzard.

And landed late in Los Angeles and came to The Cave to check on things.  Also, since the week went so amazingly, and I had one more secret day, I decided to keep it going: I retrieved what would be breakfast the following morning, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day: 1966 Chateau Figeac.

It was given to me a few years ago, yes, GIVEN TO ME. He was sober and everything, beats me.  I wanted to open it last winter, and then open it this winter, and then open it with a couple of other people, but the events of the week decided it: open it NOW. 

(sorry, guys.  Another wine, another time.)

Don't you eat your fridge clean before vacay so nothing spoils?   Everything but that last bit of tumeric. I was very proud of myself.









I woke up at 6 a.m., bummer, and made it worse by running a quick errand so wasn't able to begin breakfast until 8.  Precisely.  The plan was to have a glass of wine an hour to see how it unfolded, because there was also the possibility of it going south FAST. 

Also, A Woody Allen marathon was running.  Perfect morning!

Dense black in color, bright around the edges, I was amazed at the clean cork and didn't realize until I asked if it had been re-corked, which it had, in 1991. Just as the gold "Wine Guard" label stated.  Which I didn't read.

Here are the notes.

8:00 a.m. Grapey, metallic, watery.
9:00.  Deepened body, lots of herbal things - tarragon? And rust.
10:00. Mmmmmm, interesting. It's all one. No usual leather/tobacco overwhelm, no, gentle everything - fruit, age.

It was about this time I was realizing being in 20-degree temps for a week and then an airplane, my nasal passages and palate weren't intact, and I regretted not being able to fully, roundly, absorb this wine.  Which didn't stop me.

11:00 Holy Sh*t.  Everything. Body, fruit, herbal, subtle vegetal, cohesive, and a little bit rusty.
12:00 Fruit and love. Mature vs. aged. Magnificant.

Then I took a nap for three hours.

Awesome end to a great week. I am a fortunate troglodyte.