Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Accidental Hangover.

There are a lot of new flavor experiences going on in The Cave these days, and there will be a series of posts covering the gamut, but let's start with the night I - accidentally and completely - got plastered.
Ignorance is not bliss. WAIT! Some ignorance is not bliss, and this is about one of those.

I like a Guinness now and then. It's pleasant, at the end of a day, after all the little tasks are done, to open a Guinness and watch enough back-to-back episodes of Criminal Minds to kill a small horse.

By way of the Path of Bewildering Generosity, I recently came into this Abyss 2010 . It's a stout brewed by Deschutes Brewery in Oregon. The label reads, "...brewed with licorice and molasses with 33% aged in oak and oak bourbon barrels." Sounds fantastic! I couldn't wait, and a couple of weekends ago I took it upstairs with me.

What I didn't notice was the 11% alcohol content - versus, say, Guinness @ 6%. Nor did I take into consideration how the molasses, a sugar, might sit with me, a troglodyte allergic to sugar.

The Abyss - aptly named, it turns out - is completely tasty. The licorice was a tad too subtle; it lay buried under the molasses and could have had more presence, or maybe it was being coy and, in doing so, arousing my curiosity. Or maybe I just thought about it all that way as part of my misguided journey down the rabbit hole.

Suffice it to say, that particular day off was very quiet. Also, the subject of alcohol levels will be a future post. Good beer, though.