Saturday, September 29, 2012

Wine Pt.4: 2004 Elisabetta Geppetti Poggio Valente

(Part 4 after Part 2 and before Part 3 for reasons that make sense to me right now.)

Right before I left for vacay, A. very generously handed me a bottle of this stuff, a 2004 Fattoria Le Pupille Elisabetta Geppetti 'Poggio Valente.'  That's a lot of Italian words.  A. told me to eat it with something tomatoey.
So I'd grabbed all the ingredients for this meal at the farmer's market: Spaghetti squash, roasted eggplant, lightly curried tomato sauce and meatballs.  Lots of good heat and spice, I must say this was fantastic.    
The wine...was a perfect match, Thank You, Mr. A.  A lot of times the wine sort of caves in with this sort of thing, but the wine, Sangiovese, was a perfect, crisp, palate-cleansing accompaniment.  Great meal.

Even better, though, was what I read on the producer's website, Elisabetta Gepetti's statement:

"When I began twenty years ago, I wanted to make great wines here, in this land I've always loved. Then, with time, I came to understand that we are all, including myself, 'products' of this soil and that wine is, and must be, tied to the stories of the men who live on it; its dialogue is with them, as is its development..."

I was home, finally.